Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Day 3

 Read 

I Samuel 1 

“Not so, my lord,” Hannah replied, “I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the Lord. Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.” - 1 Samuel 1:15-16

Consider

To be deeply troubled is neither wicked nor unbiblical. As a part of the birth accounts of Jesus, we read of people who devoted themselves to fasting and prayer as they waited for the coming Messiah. With the political upheaval, the oppression of the Israelites, and the desperation in the midst of wickedness, many were greatly troubled. What a great blessing it is to serve a God who encourages us to pour out our souls, even when it is out of anguish and grief. Hannah received what she asked for but there are millions of faithful followers who do not. Even the way Jesus came to earth was distressing and unwelcome to many of His day. Jesus became flesh and dwelt among us because this world is so broken that the only way God could redeem it was to send His only and unique Son. I have prayed out of great anguish and grief. I am among those who have prayed and not received what I asked for. It is the very dark extent of brokenness that drives my hope in Christ and the revelation of His light. For the true light has come into the world and even the deepest darkness will not overcome it. Those who mourn are blessed, for they will be comforted. As faithful as God was to send His Son, we can trust His promise that one day there will be no more anguish, grief, or pain. It is with this thrill of hope that the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and joyous morn.

Wonder

What made Hannah’s waiting so painful? Where can you go to pour out your soul?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 6

  Read  Isaiah 40 And the glory of the Lord will be revealed,     and all people will see it together. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken....